On Wednesday 31st October, William Carey held its first High School Advanced Learning Open Night. The night provided numerous demonstrations of the broad skills and interests of our high school students. In his opening speech, Mr Jackson reminded us of the value of curiosity and how important it is to build on and satisfy our interests. A group of ten students on the night demonstrated a wide range of interests and presented to an audience on projects they have nearly completed. The topics presented on included:
- Ideologies of Macbeth
- Writing a short fantasy novel
- Architecture: Designing a beach house
- A picture book demonstrating the importance of culture and environment
- A study on the structure and function of the brain
- A cooking show in Spanish with subtitles
- Microbiology and natural antibiotics
- Multi-site creek water quality comparison
- Introduction to the Bible – Moore Theological College
- Programming with HTML 5 – simple computer games
These outstanding presentations were the culmination of a lot of time, effort and research. Each student has been working on these projects with a mentor over the past term.
Additionally on the night, Miss Smith and students presented information about the many current extra and co-curricular opportunities available to all high school students such as Science club, Drama club and debating.
Parents and students were also provided with a glimpse of some of the new exciting opportunities for 2013! Next year, students can look forward to:
- A Reading Olympics
- More Advanced Learning Projects
- Tournament of the Minds
- Access to an online calendar of events and extracurricular opportunities
Advanced Learning Projects will be available again next year and all students will be invited to apply for a mentor to complete a project in their own area of interest. Students completing a project benefit from one-to-one assistance from a mentor in their chosen project as well as additional feedback and practice on their presentation and writing skills. Student’s completing a project will have an additional comment on their report indicating their level of success and achievement in their project.
Well done to all students who presented on the night. You did a terrific job!
Stay tuned for blog updates on the completed projects!
Images from the night